Sunday, August 7, 2011

Guinea pigs: a history - And a major problem


Before I start with the problem, I should tell the history of our pets.

It started on a Thursday in April. I was at home (I can’t remember why because it was a normal school day) when my mum said: “let’s buy a rabbit for each of you!” she meant me and my sister. So we went to the local pet shop to collect two rabbits. First we saw a beautiful white rabbit marked with dark grey ears, feet, tail and nose. She had beautiful red eyes (which only I seemed to find beautiful, some kids were adoring other rabbits with black eyes and one said “MUM THIS ONE HAS RED EYES! IS SHE EVIL?” only she said this in Dutch because little children in the Netherlands generally don’t speak English to their parents).
   I loved the rabbit. She just hopped around in her little glass cage and I wanted to rescue her of this loveless life in a shop. So we bought her.






   Then we went to another shop (the rabbits in the first pet shop were already bought but not yet collected by their new owners) to find a rabbit for my sister. Instead we found the most amazing guinea pig I ever saw in my life. It was the smallest thing that could fit in a child’s hand. Not that we put her in a child’s hand, but considering we did, it would have fit. So we bought her too. The shop assistant assured us that guinea pigs and rabbits would easily live together. The only problem is, she said, that guinea pigs want to communicate with each other with their cute sounds and rabbits don’t make sounds. They communicate with body language.
   We came home and put the pets together in their little home and watched them getting to know each other. It was quite interesting so we watched them a lot.


(I love this picture so much!)

   I named the rabbit ‘Alice’ and my sister named her punk guinea pig ‘Sopje’.
   When we had them for a while, my sister decided that Sopje needed a companion to talk to. So she bought Peetje. That little thing looked just like a lion with her curly golden hair.



   The tragedy of Peetje’s death was already published on my blog, but I’ll briefly repeat it.
   The door of their home didn’t close properly, Peetje fell out in the big, dark unknown and was captured by a great scary dog (a jack Russell called Jackie) and dies.
   So it’s just Alice and Sopje again.
   My sister feels sorry for Sopje again and buys another guinea pig.
   Bla, bla, bla.

   No just joking, this is the interesting part.

   This little piggy is called Moomin (you know, the moomins?). She’s adorable! We got her when she was about eight weeks old.




Wait, I should give you some information on guinea pigs:

* GP’s are about twenty-eight centimeters long
* GP’s look extremely cute (as seen on the pictures of ours)
* GP’s are active by day, not by night as you would’ve expected
* GP’s are pregnant for about 63-72 days, and can get pregnant when they’re just four weeks old
* GP’s give birth to one to six babies, but some nests include even twelve little readymade guinea pigs
* Little GP’s must stay with their parents for at least four weeks


TO BE CONTINUED

Love,
Mia (and the main characters in this story: Alice, Sopje and Moomin plus babies (and Peetje, may she rest in peace))

No comments:

Post a Comment