Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dyed my hair!


Hey guys!

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to dye my hair. I don’t know if I’ve told it before, but I’m a huge fan of Doctor Who. It’s just an amazing show and it makes me very happy. I have been watching it for a year now and now I have arrived at the eleventh doctor. Finally. With the eleventh doctor Amy Pond arrived too. She is played by Karen Gillan and she has gorgeous red hair.
Klik op de foto om originele grootte te bekijken
 -Source-



Just before I saw Karen, I watched a video made by Mascha (from beautygloss.nl) in which she dyes her hair brown with a red glow using henna. I got excited immediately, until I read the bit that says you can’t dye your hair with henna when you have already dyed it with chemical stuff. It would become green, and that was not the colour I was going for.
Still dyeing your hair with henna is a great choice. Henna is a very nutritious product for your hair and it makes it look healthy. A lot better than chemical stuff obviously.

This didn’t stop me from trying however. I bought 200 grams of henna powder at the health store. This is what the packaging basically says:

Use: 100 grams for short hair, 150 grams for long hair. Stir the henna with boiled water until it is a thick mush and add a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar. Massage this in your hair. Put a piece of plastic over it and a towel and let it sit for 10 minutes (light red hair) or longer (darker red). Rinse this out with water. Tip: before you apply it to your actual hair, try it on hair from your brush.


This is almost the same as Mascha said. Still my story is a lot different from hers, so I thought it would be good if I tell mine too.

As I said before, I had dyed my hair with chemical hair dye. This is I think two months ago now. I used hair from my brush and separated them into two little wisps of hair. I made a little bit of the stuff and put the hair on a piece of plastic, still separated. I waited ten minutes and washed one piece of hair. It was EXACTLY the kind of colour I wanted, but I still waited another ten minutes before I washed the second piece. It had practically the same colour, so I decided that it would be safe.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU TRY THIS TOO: Do not use any iron things, no iron bowl, spoon or even aluminium foil. Any metal stuff will create a chemical reaction and make your hair green too. Be carefull!
Ew.. (without flash)

(With flash)


So, I washed my hair, made the green stuff and put it in my hair.
Before:

This is how it turned out eventually:

I know, my braid is not what it used to be this morning..

I must warn you (again)! Putting the stuff in is not very difficult, but getting it out is the tricky part. It took me at least an hour to wash it out. It becomes like clay on your head and there are little clumps of green stuff EVERYWHERE. I assure you, you will be cleaning your entire house after you’ve done this.

Still, I am very happy the way it turned out. I’m not Karen Gillan, but I’m ginger. I know the photos don't really show, but it really is red!

Love, Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment